For the past few months, I have noticed my album reviews have been mainly focused on male groups. To change up, I have decided to look into more girl group albums. Preferably the latest albums, however, I do intend to revisit some past albums from previous years as well. I started with Red Velvet’s Perfect Velvet and now I am moving onto Lovelyz’s latest release. Once again, I have decided to omit the introductory track, Spotlight, from this review.
2. Twinkle (종소리) (Title Track) – Click here to read the full review for Twinkle. (7/10)
3. Triangle (삼각형) – The electronic components of the song give it that quirky yet intriguing side, making it fit perfectly into the typical Lovelyz sound I have associated with them in the past year. They have great hooks, especially the post-chorus parts. The ending is the letdown moment of the track, which ended up feeling forced. But overall, great song. (8.5/10)
4. Just (그냥) – The first thing I noticed when I first listened to this song was the brightness that it presented. The song itself felt like the mixture of the Christmas theme this album had channelled along with their previous title track, WoW! That being said, what makes it an even better track is the unexpected twist and turns it takes. Once again, the ending feels rushed but it doesn’t stop being a track to check out. (9/10)
5. Fallin’ – Fallin’ felt like a ballad to me but it invokes a great sense of nostalgia. Lovelyz’s vocals are a whole seemed to put forward an innocent vibe, which I thought was cute. I like the harp instrumental they used but that random pause in the middle of the song ruined the flow. It does feel a little plain but it was something nice to listen to. (8/10)
6. Secret Garden (비밀정원) – The song starts on a bold note, which is something that makes it stand out. The instrumental is much louder compared to the previous tracks, which give it an explosive nature. I did feel that same energy was lost as the song progressed, which is a disappointment. The vocal work was quite nice and this would be a song that I would love to see a stage performance for. (8/10)
7. Sleepy Dream (졸린 꿈) – Ending the mini-album is Sleepy Dream, which has a nice mixture of orchestra and synths, especially how they use the bells in the instrumental. It sets the song up for the Christmas is coming up soon for everyone around the world. Another great use of vocals and an excellent way to end the mini-album. (9/10)
Overall Album Rating – 8.25/10