This is my first N.Flying album review. When I first heard the highlight medley prior to the official release of the mini-album, I knew I had to sit down and review the album. This is their 3rd mini-album to date and titled as The Hottest: N.Flying.
1..And So, We (그러니까 우라) – Opening up the album is a track that felt so similar to an OST to a cheesy drama. The song overall, especially the chorus, felt very poppy. It was also quite bright and refreshing, similar to songs that you would get during the Summer season. It is a great song to nod along to, with great vocals and raps. For some reason, I really like how the song ended. It seems like your standard ending but I am somehow digging it. (8/10)
2. Hot Potato (뜨거운 감자) (Title Track) – Click here to read the full review for Hot Potato. (8.6/10)
3. In The Back Alley (골목길에서) – The song opens up with a very serious rap sequence which did a good job at gaining my attention. Compared to the previous two songs, the level of energy is toned down, which provides some relief, since it could have been overwhelming. I thought the raps and vocals were well balanced. Despite the presence of the thumping drum beats, the song is soothing to listen to. The best part of the song would have to be the bridge, which gave the song its needed peak. The only downside to the song is the abrupt ending. (8/10)
4. I Know U Know – There are many elements of this song which I liked. I liked the guitar in this song. But more than that, I loved the build-up for this song. At first, I thought it was just going to be a ballad but it ended up turning into a pop song. The unexpected turns the song take do give it an appealing touch. The hollow electronic drum beats during the chorus were really nice. I also liked the high note at the end. (9/10)
5. The Best (이보다 좋을까) – Unfortunately, The Best seemed to be my pick for the least interesting song on this album. It opens up as a jazzy number and quickly turns into a pop band track. I thought the vocals and raps were nice. The chorus had a sweet sounding melody. Besides that, I don’t have much else to say about the song. (6/10)
6. Just This One Day (딱 하루만) – I think the one thing we must comment on in this song is the chorus. It was that rock sound that seemed to be missing from this album. When I first heard it, I was digging the head banging vibes. I like the scratching record which you heard throughout the raps sequences. The way the ad-libs were layered at the end gave the song a more appealing manner. The vocals were a little plain during the verses, but they contrasted nicely with the chorus. The only thing I am not keen on is the rap-speak during the bridge. (8/10)
Overall Album Review – 8/10