GFriend made their comeback a few weeks back with their 4th mini-album and their title track, which are both named Time For The Moon Night. While they have officially wrapped up their promotions already, it doesn’t mean I can’t give them an album review. So here it is! (Per usual, I did not talk about the intro track and the instrumental of the title track).
2. Time For The Moon Night (밤) (Title Track) – Click here to read the full review of Time For The Moon Night. (8/10)
3. Love Bug – To me, this is the hidden gem of the track list. I love the addictive nature of the song, which can be owed to its catchy chorus. The first half of the chorus featured vocals and the second half featured the ladies rapping, which isn’t something that you hear often when it comes to GFriend. And while the rapping does steal the show, there is awesome vocals, particularly in the second half of the song. The opening disk scratching effect is very misleading, despite the song falling towards a retro sound. I also liked the hollow metal drumbeats, which made the instrumental ear-catching. (9/10)
4. Flower Garden (휘리휘리) – Flower Garden takes on an orchestral sound, which gives way to a remarkable song with a few epic moments. If you have been following my site for a while now, you know I have a soft spot for songs with amazing orchestral instrumentation and I clearly fallen for this song. I liked the incorporation of the electric guitars in the bridge and the ending felt like a musical ending. All the vocals were amazing in this song. (9/10)
5. Tik Tik (틱틱) – It is another bright song that suits the group. There were retro vibes at the very start and the instrumental sequence at the end of the song, which I thought was great. But while it seems okay at first, the chorus takes a somewhat unexpected turn. While the song does flow well, it seems like the verses and the choruses were from different songs and smashed into the song. I have to give props to the production for making it work. Their vocal work is nice (but it isn’t their best on the album). (8/10)
6. Bye – This song serves as the ballad on the album. While the instrumental and vocals were nice, it wasn’t exactly the most exciting song on the album and was also the most skippable track. I did, however, think the harmonies and when all the members sung together were highlights for the song. (7/10)
7. You Are My Star (별) – Like in the previous track, I liked it when they all sang together for the chorus. The alternating vocal and rap lines were very strong moments of the track. The track did feel quite linear (which may be its one downfall) but the happiness and gracefulness in their vocals do make it up. Overall, it was a great ending to the album. (8/10)
Overall Album Rating – 8/10