SHINee has made their return in celebration for their 10th year anniversary since debut. The promotional cycle for this album is a little different from what you are used to. We saw the release of Good Evening and the first section of their album. The upcoming Monday will see the release of the second section of the album (with a new title track). The full album will be released on the 25th of June. But we are here for the first part of the album, so let’s get going!
1. All Day All Night – This song is one of the songs that would sound 100% awesome when the bass is turned up to the maximum. The powerful beat was the first thing that I noticed within the song, with it standing out quite prominently. The chorus was done really well, with the ‘All Day, All Night‘ part of the chorus catchy. I thought the vocals in the song were quite good, especially during the chorus, which felt like melodic shouting. The raps themselves were awesome. It starts the album on a very bold yet memorable tune. (9/10)
2. Good Evening (데리러 가) (Title Track) – Click here to read the full review of Good Evening. (9/10)
3. Undercover – The first thing you notice in this song is that it constantly changes. Like in the first song, the bass is definitely turned up, especially during the chorus. And this makes the song sound so good. I liked the muffled voices at the start but the vocals throughout the rest of the song actually felt muffled when paired with the loud dubstep instrumental. Going back to the changes, they were not (in any way) obnoxious. Instead, they connected well and the song flowed nicely as a result. There was a nice contrast between the ‘soft’ sections and the dubstep moments in the song. It’s not the best song on the album however it was still quite decent. (8/10)
4. Jump – The song starts off with a fade-in effect which I liked. I thought the song had an interesting atmosphere with the instrumental appearing to be somewhat retro and quite funky/groovy. The song is quite consistent and almost smooth with its transitions. Honestly, it is one of the few times where the consistency is the main charm of the song. Both vocals and raps fitted in nicely with the song. The fade out and fade in effect employed for the bridge was also quite good. Overall, it is an enjoyable song that doesn’t use unnecessary and loud synths. (10/10)
5. You & I (안녕) – The ballad of the album. There is an air of peacefulness in this song which makes it a really nice track. I like the huskiness in their voices and the soft nature of their vocals throughout the song. The slight echo that follows their vocals was nice, while the harmonies really made the song pop out. I really like Key’s part in the bridge, with that being a really grabbing part of the song. As a whole track, I liked how it ‘built up’ to its louder chorus in the final climax. Overall, it was a pleasant song to listen to and pleasant end of the first section. (10/10)
Overall Album Rating – 9.2/10