Mamamoo returned 2 weeks ago with a brand new mini-album titled as Red Moon and the title track Egotistic. When this album was first released, I noticed a connection between their previous mini-album, Yellow Flower. Red and Yellow are colours that two of the members wore during their Paint Me single release earlier this year. If we were to follow this trend, we will be seeing a blue and white themed album release in the future. Just an observation I made. But let’s refocus and look closely at the songs on the Red Moon album.
1..Midnight Summer Dream (여름밤의 꿈) – Opening this track up is this music box effect which really makes the R&B song twinkle. While this does sound like an odd combination, it actually works extremely well. I love the vocals and raps of the members from all the members especially with the odd quirk or two that keeps the song feel repetitive and linear. I really liked the burst of energy from the chorus which really gives the song some life. It was a great opener for the album and definitely drew my attention to the album. (9/10)
2. Egotistic (너나 해) (Title Track) – Click here to read the full review of Egotistic. (8/10)
3. Rainy Day (장마) (Pre-Release SIngle) – The pre-release single for this album was not apparent on my daily check for new releases. The song is an R&B ballad but it doesn’t feel forced or that ‘mandatory ballad’ that girl groups tend to put on their album. I am drawn to the song for their fantastic vocals, which make me feel very sorrow and sad. With the rainy days where I live, the song is perfect to put on and do a lot of sad reflection. There is also that swaying effect that makes me feel at ease. It was a change up from their previous tracks on the album but it was nice. (8.5/10)
4. Sky! Sky! (Innocence) (하늘하늘 (청순))) – I think out of all the songs which I heard in the past by Mamamoo, Sky! Sky! seems to conform to that typical girl group sound the most. But a song from Mamamoo cannot be typical. I really like the simplicity of the chorus and it does feel very nice. But what makes me go wow every time I listen to the song is Moonbyul’s rap section which was completely unexpected and different to the rest of the song (it goes for a very mindblowing hip-hop sound). By far, this is my favourite song on the album and definitely going on my replay list. (9.5/10)
5. Sleep In The Car (잠이라도 자지) – WOW! Mamamoo had their share of a hip-hop rap-heavy track through their playful Taller Than You a few years back. But this takes that song to the next level by being 1000 times more intense and unexpected. It is a fierce track on the album, going well with the already strong title track. They don’t hold back and definitely put all their energy to make sure that this ‘different’ track is successful in its delivery. And while you expect this song to be layered with deep meaning, it was more about how hard the work they do is and focused more on their wild car trips between schedules. (8/10)
6. Selfish (Moonbyul Solo) (ft. Seulgi from Red Velvet) – Click here to read the full review for Selfish. (8/10)
Overall Album Review – 8.5/10